Monday, December 10, 2007

That's What I'm Talkin About...


I wanted to share some photos of my newest, lovely nephew Finnian James Schaffer. He is pictured here with his large and in charge father (Brian), and his older brother, Kaleb. My sister and her boys! Finn is nursing well, gaining weight, and loving life in the moby wrap, a sling that is especially good with newborns. My sister is sleep deprived and I know we all wish we could be out there to help her cook, clean, and care for the boys. My folks are planning to go out in a week, assuming they do not get an appointment scheduled before then to consult with MD Anderson.
I am pleased and proud to report that Seth finished his first marathon on Saturday with his brother, Greg, in Charlotte. The competitive runner in him is coming out, as I hear him say, "If I had to do it over again, I would do longer runs on the weekends during training." I can't imagine running 6 miles, let alone 26.whatever. Anyhow, Seth got to mile 17 and started to get a little concerned. At mile 19 his legs suddenly turned leaden. The last 6 miles were excruciating with every step. Wounds include a blood blister and the loss of his toenail on his baby toe. He limped home on Sunday. They finished in 3 hours and 33 minutes. Seth said they started out running 7.5 minute miles, but the race really got him those last 6 miles and he said he ran slower than I walk. (When he demonstrated his stride those last few miles, however, it was twice as fast as my normal running pace). So we are really proud of him. Myles took a liking to the medal that Seth brought home (I think all participants get one, as well they should). I think he has it in his blood to do another, but we'll have to bide our time. It's an expensive little enterprise, once you've paid for the race registration, the travel and meals, the time away from family...but I do see another marathon in his future, no doubt.

Tonight we had a memorial service at church for a 19 year old named Heather who died last Monday. Heather was born profoundly developmentally disabled, and the doctors did not think she would live past 3 years old. She was adopted by a family that just recently joined our church, and the service was absolutely beautiful. All kinds of folks came, several in wheelchairs. I was reminded of when I worked in a group home for autistic, developmentally disabled adults when I first moved to Asheville. It's such intimate work, caring for folks in every way possible. And yet it really shifts your view of the world, opens your eyes to new things, deepens your sense of humor and inevitably humbles you. I always said I would be a better mama some day because of my short stint caring for the men on Ora Street, and I daresay that I am. The stories told about Heather, about the gleam in her eyes and the way her spirit could fill up the room (though she never weighed more than 35 lbs) were heartbreakingly beautiful. After the service we went outside and released 19 balloons, each representing a year of Heather's life, and watched them fly away. I came home to a marvelous mushroom risotto that Seth thoughtfully prepared, and now I'm headed for bed.

Myles is into everything. He has learned how to turn the light on and off with the light switch, he knows how to scale the stairs, he methodically opens cabinets and empties them of their contents, as well as our cd and bookcases. He leaves piles in his wake and crawls on to the next adventure. He loves to stand up, but is not yet making much attempt at walking. He has become impossible to dress. I put him in his crib so he can only move so far as I'm yanking things over his head. Is it possible that he's gotten cuter??? Today I had to pick up a Christmas gift, and when we got to the store he was asleep. I woke him up gently and he was in this ultra chill mood as we shopped, his cheeks were bright red as they always are after he gets up from a nap, and he was just as sweet and beautiful as a little angel. I'll post some sweet photos that Seth took later this week.

2 Comments:

Blogger p-fitz said...

Congrats to Seth on his marathon.

I hope his foot wounds don't turn into stinky fish foot.

1:06 PM  
Blogger Karson said...

Yay, Seth! Way to go!

2:02 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home