Wednesday, December 05, 2007

News About my Dad

On Sunday afternoon, my mom called. The tone of her voice tipped me off to the fact that my dad's scan did not show the results we'd been hoping for. Although they did not meet with the oncologist until Tuesday, my brother had looked at the scan and delivered the news that my dad's cancer had doubled in size during the last three months of chemo. Unless you've been there, I can't begin to explain the weight of words like these.

On Tuesday, they met with the oncologist. Together, they decided that the next step will be to schedule a consultation at MD Anderson, a huge cancer research hospital in Houston. Based on this consultation, my folks will decide whether to proceed with a clinical trial treatment that might be available at MD Anderson, or to do in-hospital chemo in TN which will require my dad to be in the hospital for 5 days every 3 weeks. The oncologist recommended that my dad wait no longer than 2 months to begin another treatment of some kind, given the growth of the cancer.

The good news, I've been told, is that the cancer has not invaded an organ. It remains in the lymph nodes. And of course we don't know what good things MD Anderson might have to offer.
Our Christmas plans (on the Voss side) are on hold for now, until the consultation is scheduled...

Please continue to keep my family in your thoughts and prayers. Along with my parents, I am grateful that God can offer a peace that passes all understanding even in the midst of difficult times. Do not be troubled and do not be afraid, we are often told in the gospel.

It's the season of Advent, which means that we anticipate the birth of Jesus, we wait for the new thing that God will do among us. Last year at this time, the word cancer was not on our lips, and I was hugely pregnant with Myles, waiting with lots of joy and anticipation. The waiting this year is very different, but I know that with God nothing is impossible. And I'm grateful at least for that.

2 Comments:

Blogger Karson said...

Oh, Mandy, I am so sorry to hear your latest news. I cannot even imagine what you all are going through. I just hate cancer! Please know you are all in my thoughts and prayers daily. If there is anything I can do, please let me know. And if he's in the hospital around here sometime and wants a visitor, Jason and I can always go. Love and BIG hugs!

9:46 AM  
Blogger Mike said...

Hi Mandy. I am very sad to hear about your dad. It is such a devastating thing to happen to someone and their family. One thing that helped for us (my husband has cancer as well) was to imagine him surrounded in heavenly golden light and that the light cleared and healed his body. It may sound crazy but it certainly can't hurt and it made me feel like I was participating in his healing process.(he also did this twice a day)

I will be surrounding your beautiful father in golden light every day. Our prayers and love are with all of you.
Kari (Gabrielson) Martin
karigabe@sbcglobal.net

PS. I have such fond memories of you and the Voss family from so many years ago - it is awesome to see your photos! Myles is utterly adorable.

11:26 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home