Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Lily of the Valley

Okay, so this isn't really a lily of the valley (which are small, white, and bell shaped), but this is the gorgeous lily growing in our front yard, and we feel like we're in a bit of a valley time. I just learned that lilies of the valley are also called "Our Lady's Tears" because according to Christian legend, the tears that Mary shed at the cross turned into lilies of the valley. I like that.

My dad went to the hospital today for two post-surgery check ups, one with his oncologist and one with his surgeon. Both went well, and my dad is doing pretty well so long as he eats slowly. We are all hoping he will put on some weight, especially since he has decided, as of today, to go back on chemo. His first treatment will be September 2nd. He told me he wants to go out fighting, and how can you argue with that? Today he sent out another Caring Bridge update and I had the good fortune of spending some time reading guest book entries. It's such a gift to read what so many people have to say about my dad, especially those who worked with him at Birmingham schools. As a kid, you rarely get a glimpse into your parents' professional lives, and now I'm getting the chance to hear first hand what an impact my dad had in all those years that he worked for the Birmingham school district.

Myles learned to jump this week...and while it's only about a centimeter off the floor, he gets the biggest kick out of it and laughs and laughs. He skidded on the sidewalk earlier this week and has a scratch all down his nose to show for it. Then today we walked to Greenlife grocery and I bought him a smoothie and by the time we got back it was on his forehead, his cheek, his tummy, all over his hands, up the side of one arm, and on his pants. I think he would have bathed in it if he could. At the end of an active day, even covered in daily grime, his sweet skin still smells so good!

I am really saddened this week by the immigration raid that happened here in western NC, just north of Asheville. I know that families are being broken apart by this raid, and I know of wonderful people in our city who are working around the clock to help families make legal decisions before they are deported, to know their human rights, and to offer compassion in a time of trauma and terror. I had the privilege of working with a small group of people on this issue several months ago, because we knew a raid would eventually happen here and we wanted to begin to prepare for it, to talk to clergy about it, so that many of us could come together and say that we do not want families torn apart in our community, people treated in any way that's less than dignified. We remembered all of God's words about loving the foreigner, caring for the sojourner, welcoming the stranger. So now the raid has happened, and I am grateful that we have people in place to provide some kind of emergency response. I know immigration is a complex issue and that there's a lot of disagreement about it in the public square. I don't think we all have to agree, but I do think we have to treat all people with dignity and care for families the best we can. There's a really great book called Enrique's Journey, a true life story about a young boy traveling into the U.S. illegally from Honduras, risking his life, so that he can come and be with his mom. If you haven't had the chance to read it, put it on your list.

Not much else to share tonight, but we are very glad to be back at home in the mix of the daily grind. So much to be thankful for. Blessings on your evening.

3 Comments:

Blogger Karson said...

We are still thinking of you guys often! And you and your family are in my prayers every single day!

Much love and BIG hugs,
Kars

7:14 PM  
Blogger Beka said...

Just caught up on your blog and wanted to let you guys know that I'm thinking of you and your family in this difficult time. I am sending you thoughts of strength and hope and love. Beka
ps many congratulations to Seth for passing his exams!!

9:31 AM  
Blogger Mary Rachel said...

I've been following your dad's Caring Bridge site, and am delighted to find your blog. many thoughts and love to you and fam.

8:04 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home