Wednesday, August 06, 2008

Update on my Dad



I wish I had better news on my dad's situation. On Wednesday afternoon, I received a call from my brother who conveyed that there had been a shift in the treatment plan. A new CAT scan showed that one of the tumors in my dad's gut was beginning to significantly block off his digestive system, which would create real trouble if he was in the middle of chemo treatments with a compromised immune system and no way to digest his food. So the decision was made to halt chemo and instead operate on my dad on Thursday afternoon/evening to reattach his intestinal tract around the existing tumors. After recovery from surgery, he will resume chemo, hopefully within 3-4 weeks. While they are operating on my dad, they may also attempt to remove some of the tumors, but these tumors are very tricky, sticky things, and as they grow they pull in blood vessels and other things around them, making it much more difficult to remove them. Please pray that my dad's surgery will be successful. If they cannot re-route his digestive tract, then he will have to have a feeding tube installed, and we don't want that. Also please keep my mom in your thoughts and prayers as she supports and cares for my dad and digests these hard realities. We went to Knoxville last night so we could see my dad today before his surgery, and he looked fantastic. His hair has grown back, he had a lot of color in his face, he looked alive and well. In fact, he ran 3 miles the morning he came into the hospital to begin his chemo. It's hard to believe that those tumors are residing in what appears to be a healthy, happy guy who (as the nurses continue to remind us) looks much younger than his age (62).

Tomorrow is our 4th anniversary...we remember watching the Olympics four years ago from our honeymoon suite in Charleston. We will be thinking about my dad as he has surgery, and hope to celebrate sometime next week after my dad is more stabilized.

Thanks so much for keeping us in your thoughts and prayers. The last two days have been very hard for me, and it helps to know our friends are thinking of us. Will keep you updated.

7 Comments:

Blogger Brenna and Brian said...

Happy 4th anniversary tomorrow, Mandy and Seth! I know the day will be bitter sweet with all that is going on with Dad. I'm right there with you Mandy, crying, hoping and praying. I wish I could be with you all tomorrow...it is so terribly hard to be this far away. Let's talk soon.
Love,
Bren

6:58 PM  
Blogger p-fitz said...

I'm thinking of you, your mom, and your dad Mandy. Happy anniversary to you and Seth.

9:52 AM  
Blogger joanne said...

Love, blessings and prayers on a day of what must be very mixed emotions.
I had lunch with Cindy and Hattie, and she told me things are rough for your dad right now. I pray he came through surgery well, and can get back on a strong healing track. I am holding you all tightly in my heart.
Joanne

4:37 PM  
Blogger MCD said...

Thinking of you two and your family. I hope the surgery went well!

4:47 PM  
Blogger MCD said...

Thinking of you two and your family. I hope the surgery went well!

4:47 PM  
Blogger Karson said...

Happy Anniversary a day late! I am remembering your beautiful wedding with so many fond memories. What a glorious weekend it was! I'm so sorry this time four years after your marriage is so hard. Big hugs to you guys!

7:28 AM  
Blogger Kara Melissa said...

You've really been on my mind and now I know why. I've just had a free moment to update myself on your blog. I am in tears reading about your dad. I am really praying for you and your family. Love you.

4:32 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home