Sunday, June 01, 2008

Week of Unexpected Change

This week was one of unexpected change. Mandy was sat down by the senior pastor on Tuesday morning and told in very general terms that the search committee at our church selected another candidate for the Associate Pastor. We were not well prepared to hear this hard news. The overwhelming endorsement of the congregation for Mandy's candidacy left us confused about the search committee's decision. We've been grateful to God for Bob and Gail who were coincidentally staying with us this week to help with Myles whose morning out program had a week off. Bob, who interviews school superintendents and principals through a program called Ventures for Excellence gave us very good insight on how hiring decisions are made, what attributes and qualities make for the strongest candidates and how easily things can derail in a search process for a variety of reasons. We had an opportunity to talk through our options with them such as selling the house and leaving Asheville or piecing together other income possibilities for Mandy here. The challenge is finding a job in Asheville, which will sustain Mandy spiritually and financially. It's funny, but this whole situation has made Mandy's desire for ministry stronger than ever. There is only one other UCC church in Asheville with three ministers so finding a pastoral position in another UCC church will require us to move outside of Asheville. We met with a Realtor on Friday and it sounds like we could probably sell the house within 2 months at a price that will allow us to break even, which gave us a sigh of relief. After the Realtor left the house we both felt sick over the thought of someone else living in the house we built from the ground up for our family. We are trying to wade through all the anger, grief, and disappointment and come to a calmer place and we know that will come in time. Not only are we grieving the decision that was made by the search committee we are also grieving the loss of our church and faith community. Several weeks ago, we made the decision that we would leave the church if Mandy didn't get the position, in part because it wouldn't be fair for the new Associate Pastor or the congregation, but also because it's best for us to move on and let the church heal from this without the distractions from us. Mandy wrote a beautiful good bye letter to the congregation and we would be happy to share this with you upon request. Right now we're weighing our options and trying to hold back from making hasty decisions. Mandy is looking into two churches: Marietta, GA, Knoxville, TN. The more options we have the better.

Thanks to all of our friends who have been so supportive this week with cards, calls, hugs, childcare, meals, and reminding us in this hard week that we are loved. We'll keep you posted.

5 Comments:

Blogger Brenna and Brian said...

Mandy, I would really like to see the letter you wrote to the congregation, if and when you have time. I'm sure it was graceful yet heart wrenching all the same. I wish I could be with you during this hard time...just to give you a hug or make you a meal. I'm so sad we live so far away. Please know that I continue to think about you every day and look forward to when I can wrap my arms around my baby sister in three weeks.
Love,
Bren

8:45 AM  
Blogger Karson said...

Oh, I am so saddened by this news. I have been thinking of you and praying for you so much. I will, of course, continue to do so, and pray that you will be led to where you need to be next. (Maybe Knoxville? Selfishly hoping.) Seriously, I can't imagine all that you are feeling, grieving and going through right now. Please let me know if there is anything we can do. And I would love to read your letter as well. I'm sure it is beautiful - you write so well, Mandy. Hugs to you guys! Love, Karson

12:18 PM  
Blogger tongue-tied said...

Mandy and Seth ~ I'm shocked and saddened by this news. I can say this - I can't imagine anyone being more dedicated, inspired and engaging than Amanda Voss!! I know this is a time of extreme uncertainty in your lives but I know that your path will become clear to you as time goes on. Someday you'll look back on this and think how glad you are this happened because it gave you the opportunity to do _______!! I know, little consolation now as you face all these extremely hard choices. I just wanted to say I'm thinking about both of you.
Love,
Megan Widman

8:48 AM  
Blogger katherine mary said...

big fat hugs from upstate ny.

11:08 AM  
Blogger p-fitz said...

This is a loss for the church Mandy, and I feel sorry for the congregation for being deprived of your amazing talents. You will triumph over this!

6:09 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home