Saturday, July 26, 2008

The Mean, Green Zucchini Eating Machine




There's a cantaloupe sunset fading behind the trees. Myles is in bed (whew!). Seth is volunteering at Bele Chere (well, it's not really volunteering since it's mandated by his work, but whatever). So that frees me up to be here in front of the computer, writing the second blog in two days...wow! What a life...

It's officially squash season when your neighbors begin to load you down with bags of free zucchini and summer squash. We received our first bag on Wednesday, and so I set out this morning to whip up the first summer batch of z-bread. The moosewood recipe I was following called for coarsely grating the zucchini, which turned out to be just right, so you can still catch a glimpse of it in the bread even after it's cooked. I asked Seth if I should add raisins, dried cranberries, or chocolate chips and he laughed in my face. So it was chocolate chips. Sometimes you just need someone else to blame it on.

Pictured above is Myles shortly after his love affair with the chocolate chip z-bread.

Also, Seth sporting the new t-shirt that I picked up for him at the festival this weekend. It's long overdue. Tomorrow we will take Myles back to Bele Chere (we skipped it today) for the family day...there are some rides we've been eyeing, wondering if he's big enough to try them out. Also, Billy Jonas is playing at some point, we just hope it's not during nap time.

As for me, I picked up a patchwork skirt that I had been lusting after for two previous BC festivals...with leftover birthday money (thanks mom!) I finally made the purchase. Pics to follow.

One last thing...I've gotta give a shout out to "The Office," one of the funniest shows I've ever watched. It sucked me in and netflix has the immediate download feature, so I've been watching them nightly. At 22 minutes each, Seth says they're just like candy. And they are. If you have not spied The Office and find yourself down or depressed, just watch it! Just do it. Who would have thought I'd be advocating so hard for a television show? I have needed all the laughs it's provoked in the last few weeks, that's for sure.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Office! Yes!!! I concur!!

7:48 PM  
Blogger MCD said...

I'm glad to see that you're back online. I LOVE The Office. No matter what kind of mood I'm in, it makes me laugh out loud.

Thinking of you!

10:19 AM  
Blogger Kara Melissa said...

Another funny series is Flight of the Concords. I prefer the US version of The Office over the British one, but they are both funny. Not that I find myself having time to watch tv at the moment...I love zucchini bread with choc chips!

1:36 PM  
Blogger Ragfield said...

Our garden has been overflowing with zucchini. My wife, Melissa, has been using them as the secret ingredient in some delicious vegan brownies.

-Rob

8:13 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home