Thursday, August 07, 2008

Love for Bob


Bob's surgery was ended shortly when the surgeon discovered that the tumor against the intestine was too intertwined with the intestine itself to complete a by-pass or even a feeding tube installation. Bob was closed back up and is now sleeping in his room on the 12th floor of the University of Tennessee Medical Center. The doctors have determined that intravenous feeding won't be possible so the plan is for Bob to eat by mouth until the intestine blocks up completely (probably a couple of weeks at best) and then make him as comfortable as possible at home. Mandy is at the hospital and will be spending the night with Gail in Bob's room. Tonight is a horrible night.
I've been pacing around the house for the last few hours feeling sick to my stomach and wishing I were at the hospital with Mandy. I've decided to write this entry and take the opportunity to say a few words about the Bob Voss who I have come to love like my own father:
It's not hard to get right to the point about Bob Voss. He is a great man; surely one of the finest men this world has ever known. He is a chivalrous and committed husband who can still be caught gazing lovingly at Gail like they were just married yesterday; who is unapologetic about complimenting her to the brink of embarrassment.
Bob is a loving father who would give the moon to his children if he could reach that high. Bob's biggest hope for the future, above any dream or material possession for himself is that his children have everything they need to live a healthy and prosperous life in this world. I remember very well the weekend Bob and Gail came to Atlanta to help Mandy and I prepare our new house for move-in. It was a couple weeks before the wedding and we were overloaded with wedding planning and stressed to the brink of splitting up. Bob tiled our bathtub, painted the walls and helped install the bedroom flooring until his hands were sore. Then he came back the following weekend and did it all again. On our lunch breaks he would insist on treating us to ice cream (see picture above). See, Bob is a selfless giver. It's not uncommon for him to pay for your dinner or buy you a gift- even after lending you a hand. For those two weekends Bob helped us without complaint or ulterior motive but out of the pure goodness of his beautiful heart and his love for Mandy and her well being.
Bob is a amazing grandfather of six grandsons who he talks about with glowing admiration and pride. If Bob has a choice of dining with Tiger Woods or spending the weekend at the beach with his grand kids he might have to think twice, but he'd choose his grand kids.
Bob is a tremendously respected colleague. He leaves in his wake confidence, satisfaction and quality in every task he completes and interaction he has. Bob has transformed the quality of school districts throughout the country through his work with Venture for Excellence. He is passionate about his work and convicted by the message he delivers.
Bob is a beloved friend of many, many people, whether they be from church, on the golf course, up in the snow drifts of Michigan or in the temperate hills of Tennessee. He is a excellent conversationalist and a captive listener of other peoples' life experiences. During a conversation Bob can always plug in a relevant or parallel story of someone else--someone he met or someone he read about in a magazine or heard about at church.
There are many other praiseworthy things I can say about my father-in-law and there are many other things his children would probably love to share. Bob has been like a father to me over the last eight years that I've known him. He has inspired me to be a more responsible father to Myles and a more patient husband to Mandy. By seeing the role faith has played in creating Bob and Gail's rock solid relationship, Bob has inspired me to take more seriously my faith in God.
For me it would be a huge accomplishment to be able to say that I have lived a life like that of Bob Voss; that I lived my life to the fullest and took nothing for granted; that I loved by wife and my kids and my grand kids with every ounce of love I could muster; that I was a good friend and inspirational colleague; that I learned from people and that I gave unconditionally.
I guess if there was one word I could use to sum up Bob it would be PEACE. God bless you Bob. I love you dearly.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

My heart goes out to your family. When I think of the many times I have been fortunate to see Bob, I think about his smile and his warmth. I see the love for his family in his actions. Please let me know if there is anything you need.

6:59 AM  
Blogger Karson said...

You are all in our thoughts and prayers during this time. Please let us know if there is anything we can do to help.

Love,
Karson and Jason

7:25 AM  
Blogger Brenna and Brian said...

Your words have made me cry, Seth. They are so touching, so beautiful and so true. Thank you for loving my Dad and my sister so perfectly! Brian and I and the kids will be coming in tomorrow. We hope to see you guys.
Love,
Brenna

7:31 AM  
Blogger Ragfield said...

Eloquently stated, Seth. Though I've never met Bob, after reading this I almost feel like I know him. I can see many of my family members and friends in your description of Bob, particularly my own father, and it makes me appreciate my loved ones all the more.

I wish the best for your entire family in this difficult time.

Peace,
- (my name is) Rob

8:01 AM  
Blogger p-fitz said...

I met Bob Voss for the first time in 1997 when he came to visit Mandy at her summer job working for the Appalachia Service Project in Kentucky. Bob and Gail spent a few days with us. It was very clear to me how proud of Mandy Bob and Gail were.

I also remember calling Bob when Mandy was in Honduras during Hurricane Mitch in 1998. He spoke with me for a while about how Mandy was doing and reassured me that she was safe.

I am very sorry to hear about his unsuccessful operation. I am moved by your writing Seth.

8:08 AM  
Blogger Susan said...

We are certainly thinking of and praying for each of you during this difficult time. I have never had the chance to meet Bob, but I feel like I know his loving, youthful spirit just from reading your words, Seth. Sending out a big Goebel-Goody hug to each of you right now. xxxx

8:16 AM  
Blogger MCD said...

It is clear from your words, and getting to know Bob through Caring Bridge, what a wonderful man he is. I'm so sorry to hear about the surgery and I will continue to pray for Bob and the rest of the Voss extended family in the coming weeks.
Love,
Mary

8:34 AM  
Blogger Kara Melissa said...

This one made me cry too. I can still hear Bob Voss's calm and encouraging voice during conversations through high school and college whenever I was over at Mandy's.

4:38 AM  
Blogger ccpcmusic said...

I stumble on this, looking for Bob's Caring Bridge site.

yes, Bob is all those things you said so eloquently. Amazing man of God. Thanks for putting this into words.;

2:53 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home