Thursday, January 17, 2008

Wintry Mix




Well, I really need to label our photos better, because these were not the photos I thought I chose for this morning's blog. But I dont' feel like waiting for a whole new group to download. I was going to snap a photo of the quiet, white world from our back porch, but it turned out the camera battery needs charging. So it goes. Anyhow, it is white and quiet here. Every school known to Asheville is closed. We got a few inches of snow overnight, and we're expecting that famous "wintry mix" this morning. Meaning that it's too warm for the precipitation to remain snow, so it will turn to a slippery slush and then to a rain. Without road salt (just sand and a pre-snow de-icer), everyone is pretty much staying at home today.
I have been working with a group that is planning a forum called "Immigration: fact, fiction, and faith" for clergy. It was scheduled for this morning. As it turned out, one of the key organizers had his first baby (or rather his wife did) over the weekend, and he wouldn't have been able to attend anyway. So perhaps it's all for the best that we've postponed it.
I'm trying to talk Seth into taking Myles out back to slide down our backyard hill on top of a plastic lid from one of our storage boxes. A baby needs to do these things. And Seth is just the parent to make it happen (his tolerance for cold is much higher than mine despite the fact that I grew up in Michigan).
On Tuesday, I went with my friend Michelle to a show at the civic center featuring Emmylou Harris, Patti Griffin, Shawn Colvin, and Buddy Miller. It was incredible! Patti Griffin has a really beautiful song called "Mary" both about her grandmother and mother Mary. Each musician would take a turn singing one of their songs, and the others would provide back up.
On Sunday I get to preach. I am hoping to skip out on Kindermusik on Monday in favor of taking Myles to the MLK peace march that I go to annually. Maybe this year I can convince Seth to come along. I remember last year I was very large and in charge with a belly full of Myles, and I was sitting on the ground, listening intently to one of the speakers, put my hands absent-mindedly on my belly and had a woman next to me exclaim, "Are you okay???"
Well, if there's snow in your world this weekend, I hope you enjoy it. If there's a MLK event that you like to attend, I hope you enjoy that too. I can't resist closing with a quote from the King himself:
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."

2 Comments:

Blogger Kara Melissa said...

I remember when you introduced me to Patti Griffin's music in high school, listening to it in the car. One of her CD's got me through the latter part of my college years. I miss you.

11:12 AM  
Blogger Benjamin said...

I'm glad the photos got messed up, because we finally get some photos with you in them!

9:32 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home