Thursday, September 04, 2008

More News

Well, Seth conveniently stole both the camera and our earphones on his way out the door to run the Blue Ridge Relay (come on, isn't my plan to watch John McCain on the internet more important than having a soundtrack as he runs 24 miles???), so I can't post a photo of the beautiful empanadas we consumed last night. But it's just as well. I wasn't sure they would fit the mood of this entry anyhow.

An update on my dad: yesterday they administered his second day dosage of chemotherapy, and he had some pretty awful side effects. He vomited, he experienced tremors, his legs buckled each time he tried to stand, and (worst of all) he became incoherent. MD Anderson had told my folks that "mental confusion" was a possible side effect of this chemo. You always hope that you're not in that percentage they give you of people affected. It was a very difficult day for my dad and my mom. For me, my dad's spiritual, mental, and emotional courage has been the one thing I've relied on throughout this awful encouter with cancer as a source of peace. So to hear that he was incoherent brought up a lot of grief for me. And I guess some guilt too...wishing I was there to help my mom, not knowing if and when I should just pack Myles up and go.

The VERY GOOD NEWS is that today my dad is coherent. The tremors have all but left his system, and we think that tomorrow he will be strong enough to walk on his own. His pastor spent some time with them today, and I know that was comforting and refreshing.

In consultation with my mom, his doctor, and my brother (the family doctor), my dad has decided to discontinue the chemo due to the nasty side effects. It's hard to let go of the bit of hope we had hoarded...hope that the chemo would miraculously dissolve the tumors. But I tell you what, chemo can be like a poison itself. So I actually feel a lot of relief that my dad has chosen to halt the chemo.

My plan is to stay in Asheville this weekend, then travel to Knoxville next weekend with Seth and Myles, unless my folks need or want me to come sooner than that. My dad will likely go home on Saturday.

I ran two miles this morning, and I think it helps with getting out the grief toxins. Seth's brother Greg arrived this evening, and they left for the relay race. His team will finish the race on Saturday afternoon, and Seth has trained so hard for this that I am hoping he has a blast and feels great out there. Signing off...

P.S. Much love to all my community organizer friends out there...don't let Sarah get ya down!

3 Comments:

Blogger Karson said...

I don't have the words to say right now, but please know my thoughts and prayers are sent out daily for you and your family. I just can't even imagine the summer you've had. . . and how tired you all must be. . . Congrats on the running goals, Mandy. And good luck to Seth on the relay! Amazing! If there is anything at all we can do besides pray, please let us know.

Love and BIG hugs,
Kars

6:54 PM  
Blogger Susan said...

Mandy, your dad must be so proud of you for taking on his role of running... Thinking and praying for you... Goebel hugs to you all!

8:42 AM  
Blogger MCD said...

Mandy,
I've been thinking about you so much lately and praying hard! I'm glad to hear that your dad is coherent and I will continue to pray that you have the blessing of quality time with him.

Love, Mary

5:37 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home