Thursday, May 27, 2010

School's Out for SUMMER...


Today was Myles' last day of preschool for the school year. I'll admit that while I carried in cupcakes for his teachers, I got a little misty-eyed. He's grown so much this year, turning into this little pre-schooler who does things like play Hi-Ho Cherry-O with his Grandpa and Nana. He has three weeks off until his summer program begins at another church in town, three mornings/week.

Seth and I had a great visit with his folks last weekend. The Montford festival was happening just two blocks away so we enjoyed some art and music. Myles adores is grandparents and it's a treat any time he gets to spend time with them.

Next week I will be in Chicago for the 2030 Clergy Network event for UCC clergy in their twenties and thirties. My co-pastor Sara will be going with me, and I'm looking foward to a short but sweet time of retreat, community, and a few nights in the city.

Racing season is upon us, and Seth is in fabulous shape. His first race is Saturday, the Sunset Stampede, which is 5 miles uphill followed by 5 miles downhill. We are also planning to go camping with friends on Sunday night.

Myles Says: About a month ago, Myles started scheduling his own playdates at school and would inform me of the plan when I arrived to pick him up. "I'm going over to his house," he'd say, "his mama said it's okay." Or "He's coming over to my house today." His this-is-how-it's-gonna-be statements are often followed by, "Is that a good idea?"

Seth and I have officially begun the Lost series via netflix. I can't say we're totally hooked just yet...it's a little too sci-fi for me and a little too melodramatic for both of us. But we've run out of smart HBO shows, so a little entertainment it is.

Garden: We have blueberries, raspberries and strawberries growing, all green right now but we're anxiously awaiting the day when we can pop a few in our mouths. Our sugar snap peas are tasty and continuing to produce. We just planted some bush beans as our lettuce comes to an end (we didn't get all that much, we need a new plan for it next year). We have one cherry tomtao (sungold) that's just starting to turn orange, and others that are still green. Our other two tomoato plants are flowering. We're enjoying the farmer's market on Saturdays.

The oil spill in the Gulf is shaping up to be one of the greatest tragedies of the decade...our church gave to the National Wildlife Federation to help clean up the wildlife paralyzed by all this oil. My heart goes out to those communities along the coast who have lived in harmony with the coastal eco-system, and who are losing their livelihoods because of this terrible mess. Our addiction to oil is not wise living, and I hope we're each able to do our small part to quell it. I'm thankful to live in Asheville where we are surrounded by many friends and folks who also want to live more simply and ecologically. One easy thing you can do if you're looking to make a change is to switch to soaps and household cleaning products that do not have petroleum in them. Most do. I clean most of our house with a water/white vinegar mix with a few drops of essential oil mixed in to cut the smell (okay, it still smells, but it's a cheap, easy, and effective cleaner so it's worth it). The floor and dish soaps that I buy are petroleum free. Anyhow, there's a million small things that all of us can do to lighten our load on the Earth, and I hope you'll find a way to incorporate a few of them.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home