Saturday, February 23, 2013

Sleep, precious sleep...






A brief post to fill you in on the latest, greatest news...Simon slept through the night!  My Aunt Penny and Uncle Gary were visiting my mom this week, and so I took Myles out of school on Thursday and Friday so we could go to my mom's to visit with them.  I thought it was possible that Simon would do awful, sleep-wise, in a different sleeping environment.  But, as it turned out, the first night he slept for 5.5 hours straight (I was sleeping for 4.5 of those hours), and then slept through until 7am, and the next night he slept for 7 hours straight, at which point I woke him for a feeding because I couldn't go any longer without feeding him.  Wow!  I have no idea what tonight will hold, being back home, but I am going to turn up the heat a few degrees, as I have a feeling that one thing that may be waking him up is that it's a little cold in his room (even though he's dressed in so many layers).  At my mom's I still woke up every 4 hours or so (wondering if he was still alive, since he's never slept so long before), but I think if he keeps this up, I might just get 5+ hours of consecutive sleep.  I'm giddy at the possibility! 

It was good to be at my mom's, and it was also one of those visits when I thought a lot about my dad.  I remembered how excited he was to build that house; how every detail was worth discussion and deliberation.  I remember him in every room; grilling on the back deck (then taking in sun when he was really sick and couldn't do much other than sit), turning on music downstairs to liven things up, countless meals at the dining table, the interview we did with him a week or so before his death on the couch in the family room.  I remember him in the study, always working on this or that, and in his bedroom, especially when he was no longer able to get up out of the bed.  I needed a Bible yesterday for sermon writing and I got his out to use.  Then I sat down and pored over some old photographs, and re-read all the memories people sent in when my sister made a book of them for my mom.  What stood out to me was how many people commented on his obvious love and affection for my mom...the way he did little things for her and always complimented her, he found countless ways to talk about her and show his love.  I really want to be more like that.  I am married to one fine man, and I don't always do a good job of fully appreciating him.  With two kids hanging on me every day, I am not as affectionate with him as I'd like to be.  It was a nice reminder of my dad's spirit and how I still have so much to learn from him as I go through the seasons of my life. 

We all have different gifts in life.  I actually watched American Idol at my mom's house (ha!), and was reminded that I do NOT have an ear for music...I appreciate it, but I do not hear all the things that those judges' ears are tuned to hear.  But I am tuned into Spirit.  I always have been; I guess I was just born that way.  And while I can't hear all the fine-tuned details when it comes to music, I don't doubt that they are there.  Not everyone is plugged into spirituality; I've had spiritual experiences that perhaps are a bit on the unusual side, but just because one isn't tuned in themselves doesn't mean God or the next place don't exist.  Seth and I were talking about this tonight, because when I think about my dad, it's very bitter-sweet, and yet I always sense that he is present or watching.  I do feel that I communicate with him, though it's a very different kind of communication.  And I do believe that I will see him or be in his presence more fully again one day.

In the mean time, hopefully I'll be getting some sleep... 

2 Comments:

Blogger michellekaiser said...

Yippee for some zzzzzz's!!!! You do have a sense of Spirit, my friend. You are a very special woman, indeed. Beautiful piece about your father too...how amazing to take a moment, be fully present in his presence and (His presence) at your mom's home, and reflect on how you can continue to grow. That's pretty awesome. Lots of love to you and your family, Kaiser.

11:21 AM  
Blogger Megan said...

Beautiful. I can picture your dad now... he loved living at that house. He was so happy there.

8:29 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home