Sunday, October 21, 2007

Punkin at the Pumpkin Patch

This is the first moment I've had to update the blog in over a week, and yet the system is having problems and won't let me upload the cutest photos you've ever seen of Myles at the pumpkin patch...will try again tomorrow.

It's the end of a very busy week. Last Sunday and Monday I went to Tennessee to see my sister and my sweet nephew Kaleb. My sister is due with her second child on Christmas Eve, and she looks great! My nephew dressed up in his dinosaur Halloween outfit, which Myles was very interested in, and talked about his new, soon-to-be-born brother, Finn. We also got the chance to see my brother and his family. My sister-in-law Irene is due at the end of this month with their third baby, and she has been having lots of BH contractions, I am expecting the phone call any day now. Yet she's still slinging around Cullen (who my parents call the tank because of his sweet baby fat), doing everything a mother of two has to do. I don't know how she does it!

It was a busy week at work for me, because I preached this morning and led the service. Lots of additional work goes along with this and in my 20 hours per week, that means other things get left undone. On Friday, we drove back to Knoxville for the Race for the Cure. We saw my dad's freshly shaved head (go dad!). Only 10% of folks who take his type of chemotherapy lose their hair, and he's in that percentage. It took me a moment to get used to it, but by the end of our time together I decided that I really liked it. He looks great...who knew when I shaved my head all those years ago that I was paving the way. His take on the shaved head is: "it's cold!" My mom thinks he should get a stocking cap to wear to bed...Anyhow, on Wednesday he will have another chemo session and this time with the two chemicals. It will be his second time getting two chemicals and he had a rough week the last time he got both. So we are praying that he will have a better experience this time around. Did I mention that he and my mom have turned over a new leaf with nutrition and are eating a largely organic, raw, vegetarian diet? I am very thrilled about this, and greatly respect their willingness to shift their lifestyle in order to build up my dad's immune system.

The race for the Cure was awesome! Over 12,000 descended upon downtown Knoxville. Our friend Karson is a breast cancer survivor, and so friends from all parts of the country came to Knoxville to walk/run in honor of her. I saw friends from Baltimore and Philly and Atlanta and Louisiana and all over the place. It was a wonderful reunion, and Karson looks beautiful with her short hair. Seth ran competitively and came in 5th place. It was a 5k and his time was 18 minutes. He gets mad when I talk about how incredible his running is, but it's true!

Well, I'll sign off and try to get on tomorrow to post photos of sweet Myles. Sweet dreams for now!

1 Comments:

Blogger Karson said...

It was so great to see you guys this weekend! Thanks for joining us! And I'm glad we got a little visit time in at lunch. ;) Way to go, Seth! That is so awesome about your time! Hope to see you guys again soon. I'm keeping you all and your dad, Mandy, in my prayers!

4:04 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home