Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Diaper Revelations

Getting my hair cut on Monday morning, I happened to mention to my stylist (who is also a mother and an artist)...tell me how you did the cloth diaper thing. Before I knew it she was pushing a stack of 27 pre-fitted newborn diapers into my hands, and giving me washing instructions. Yippee! Diaper problem solved. Then my friend Colleen called to tell me about g diapers, the first flushable diapers. The idea is that they are better for the environment because you can flush them and they are also compostable if the diaper is just wet and not poopy. As if you all wanted to know. Anyhow, check out www.gdiapers.com and be amazed! So it looks like we will do a mix of cloth, g's, and disposable, hoping to stick mostly with cloth while I'm on maternity leave. On Monday night, Seth and I took a tour of Mission hospital's labor and delivery rooms. They have fancy beds in which the bottom part lowers so you can be in a sitting, squatting, or kneeling position, all on the bed. They also have "water world," four rooms reserved for those wanting an unmedicated birth, equipped with birthing tubs. We liked the nurse who showed our group around, she encouraged things like skin to skin contact with the baby right after birth, and breastfeeding within the first hour, but was also able to be very non-judgemental about all the different choices mamas make these days about how to give birth. So it was a good visit. There's a part of me that wonders if this would all be so much easier and more comfortable at home. No matter how cool the hospital is, it's sort of hotel-like, and you just don't feel like you're at home. It's looking more and more like Beka, our friend, neighbor, and my yoga teacher, will be our doula. Now we're onto solving the childcare dilemma.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home